The second edition of Neymar Jr’s Five kicked-off in Pakistan after the registration process that was met with an overwhelming response by young budding football enthusiasts from all corners of the country. The Qualifiers Round started in Karachi on April 14th, which will go next to Lahore and then Islamabad and Peshawar. The winners of all cities will compete at the National Finals on the 23rd of April in Islamabad.
The team that wins the National Finals will then head to Brazil where national winning teams from 53 countries including Pakistan will ensemble at Neymar Jr’s Instituto Projeto in Praia Grande, Brazil to win the global championship title.
Neymar Jr’s Five made an instant impact in its debut year in 2016 with more than 10,000 teams consisting 65,000 players in 47 countries, including Pakistan, vying for overall victory in the world’s biggest five-a-side football tournament.
Neymar Jr’s Five fact file:
- 10,000 teams took part in the first edition in 2016.
- Ghosts FC from Peshawar were crowned Neymar Jr’s Five Pakistan Champion 2016 and represented Pakistan at the World Finals in Brazil last year.
- Altogether, more than 65,000 players were registered worldwide.
- Tournaments took place in a total of 47 countries in 6 continents.
- Regional winners go through to their national final. National winners go through to the Neymar Jr’s Five World Final.
- The 2016 final took place at the Instituto Projeto Neymar Jr in Praia Grande, Brazil.
- The 2016 World Champions were ‘Anjos da Bola’ – Angels of the Ball – aged 20-22 from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- The 2017 final will again be played at the home of the Neymar Jr at Instituto Projeto Neymar Jr in July.